Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gobhi/ Cauliflower stems with zucchini/cucumber sabzi

When I was staying at 28E in Mayur Vihar, Delhi, we had an old lady who used to help us with the house work. She also used to cook for us. One day, we asked her to make gobhi aloo. I told her to discard the stems (I use the small leaves but used to discard the stems totally). She told me the danthal (stems) are fresh and can be used. I was doubtful and I asked her to throw it all away. She said she would take it home! Another day, when the gobhi was fresh, she told me she would add them and we wouldn't even know the difference. It was true. After this incident, I try to use the stalks of as many veggies as possible. Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower. They add the much needed fibre to your meal.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Stems of 1 cauliflower chopped finely (Add the chopped leaves too.If you feel the stems are hard, peel the outer covering)
1 cucumber / zucchini chopped (peel if you prefer, I don't)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp amchoor (dried mango powder)
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, 1 tomato chopped
1/2 cup water

Directions-

Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add onions and fry till the edges turn pink. Add tomato and cook till done. Now add the gobi stems and cucumber/ zucchini. Add salt and all spices except garam masala / all spice and amchoor. Mix well and cook covered for 2-3 mins. Add amchoor and garam masala and mix again. Add about 1/2 a cup of water. Pressure cook for one whistle. If you have the patience, you can cook covered on low heat and make stir fry. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment