Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Brown rice palak khichdi

I have always made palak khichdi with white rice. I saw this page a few days back, about an event with brown rice, Brown Rice for Dinner.
Event details can be viewed here as well.
I have recently discovered Navadarshanam products available at all Namdhari stores in Bangalore. Check them out! Their brown rice is especially good. I started using it for all my kheer/ payasams. Then I thought I could even use it for Paalak Khichdi. I have followed the same recipe as I have posted before but with brown rice.

This is my recipe-
Ingredients-
1 cut onion
1 chopped tomato
ginger garlic paste as per taste
boiled and pureed spinach - 1.5 cups for 1 cup brown rice (I didnt puree it, just mashed it with a potato masher)
1 cup brown rice soaked for an hour and cooked with 2 cups water)
ghee as per taste
1 cup water / milk
oil for cooking



Directions-
Heat oil in  a pan. Sauté onions till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Add tomatoes and cook till done. Add spinach puree and salt as per taste. Add the boiled brown rice and milk/water (I prefer water, can't imagine making khichdi with milk, yuck). Cook covered and stir in between for 3-5 mins. Take off from stove and add ghee if desired. Serve hot :) Accompaniment- curd and dal / curd rice- slurp! (I am a Bihari transformed into South Indian!)

I boiled 2 cups brown rice, saved some to mix with barley and made barley kheer, and saved some to make curd rice.

Curd rice with brown rice is also good. Once the cooked rice is cool, add curd and a bit of water (I like it a bit runny). Let it soak for half an hour or so. Heat 1 tsp oil, add mustard seeds and cut curry leaves, let the seeds splutter and add to curd rice mix. Add salt to taste and serve.

1 comment: