Friday, February 25, 2011

My first upside down cake - Pineapple!!


I was thinking what could I make for the Cooking with Fruits event. I always make banana muffins, strawberry muffins etc and I wanted to use a different fruit this time. We went to Namdhari's and got pineapple. I asked Niket what did he want me to make, was it strawberry muffins or this, and he immediately said upside down cake! And so here it is-
I have taken the recipe from here- Allrecipes
But I altered it quite a bit. This is what I did-


Ingredients-

1/2 cup refined oil / butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 fresh pineapple sliced

Melt the butter in a baking dish after greasing it. Press sugar on top and decorate with the sliced pineapples. Keep aside.




1 cup flour (I used half Navadarshan WW flour and half AP)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Sift these and keep aside.

1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon refined oil
1 teaspoon almond meal
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Cream the egg, sugar, oil . Add sifted flour and almond meal. Mix the milk and mix enough to fold in the flour. Pour and spread evenly over the pineapples.
Bake at 180 deg for 30 mins. Check for doneness. Let it cool, scrape sides and turn on a serving plate. You can leave the dish over the plate to let the sugar drip on top of the pineapples. (I was scared of too much sugar, and I removed it)

This cake is heavenly! I feel the cake is a tad toooooo sweet for my liking (and I am saying this inspite of loving sweets so much!) but the taste is really good, whether right out of the oven or otherwise.

And I am really happy to have experimented with Pineapple, it is in the spirit of my blog (isn't ambrosia a dish with coconut and pineapple?)

1 comment: