Saturday, March 12, 2011

Papaya and papad veggie

My stock of veggies was over. I only had half of a ripe papaya. We eat papaya for dinner, it is said to be good, since it acts as a digestive and laxative! So I was wondering what to make !
Niket always mentions raw papaya and papad sabzi that was made at his school (RK Mission). We have tried that several times, and I thought of experimenting this time with ripe papaya.
It was delish!

My recipe-
Ingredients-
2 papads- roasted in the microwave
1 chopped onion (I used spring onions)
1 boiled potato cubed
half of a medium sized papaya cubed
salt to taste
1 tsp each of turmeric, coriander, allspice/ garam masala
Oil to cook
tempering (I used panch phoran with sesame seeds)

Directions-
Heat oil in a wok. Add tempering, then onions and fry till pink. Add potato, papaya(I added potato, papaya and spring onions right after the tempering spluttered) Fry a bit. Add the dry spices and mix well. Fry for a couple of minutes.  Add 1 cup water and cover, let simmer for another couple of minutes. Now add the roasted papad broken into bits.

I used garlic flavored papad. I think the pepper ones will taste better with the ripe papaya! Turn off the gas, cover and let stand for a few minutes before serving. Serve with rotis or rice.

I saw this event being run by Vaishali of Zesty Flavors  and since my dish looks colorful with the papaya and the spring onions, I am sending this to It's Spring!

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting and innovation dish - lovely post dear

    ReplyDelete