Sunday, April 17, 2011

Steamed pithe

I have read so many Bong blogs, and most of all I love Bong Mom's cookbook, the way Sandeepa writes and presents is a joy for any reader.

The flavors of Bengal is being hosted by Priya, and ever since Holi, I have been wishing to make Pithe- steamed or fried. I just couldn't find the time to, with Yashi demanding attention every time she wakes up and with so much of housework. As Parkinson's Law states,Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion!

I somehow managed to make it one day, and Niket who doesn't even like coconut, couldn't resist it after a couple of bites. 

Steamed sweet and savory pithe recipe

Ingredients:
Rice flour 1 cups
Hot boiling water for kneading the dough

Grated coconut 1 cup
1/2 cup jaggery
1/2 cup khoya

Preparation:
For the dough, use rice flour and boiling water.

For the filling-
Heat a wok, and mix the grated coconut, khoya and the jaggery with continuous stirring till it mixes well. Let the filling cool.
Make a few portions of the dough, roll one portion into a ball, make a bowl shape to put the filling, put the filling into it and close the pithe. (This was toughest for me because the thinner it is, the tastier it is to eat, but i couldn't make it thin). Do this for all portions.

I used my steamer in the rice cooker to steam these. I kept them for about 20 mins in the rice cooker. The outer covering will feel dry to touch, which means it is done. Let it stay on the sieve for about 5-10 mins to let the vapors cool off. Then serve.

I used flaxseed chutney in some to make savory pithe and served it with bottlegourd veggie. Both tasted good.

The sweet pithe is going to Priya's event- Flavors of Bengal. Also check  Nayna's events' page.
What a lovely logo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment