Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chhole in Malabar Spinach / green gravy

Ingredients-

1 cup Chickpeas- washed and soaked overnight, pressure-cooked with 1 cup water for one whistle and simmered for another 10 mins.
2 cups Bachele soppu in Kannada (I don't know the name in Hindi, in English, I think it is known as Malabar Spinach), cleaned and boiled, then blended for 2 mins.
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
Oil to cook
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 chopped onion, 1 chopped tomato
1 tsp coriander, turmeric, garam Masala Powder
Salt to Taste
Optional- can add 1 medium sized boiled potato. I did

Directions-
Heat oil in a wok. Add cumin and let them change color. Now add the onions and ginger garlic paste. Add the chopped tomato and the dry spices, salt. Cover and cook till done. The oil should separate from the masalas.
Add the blended greens and chhole with the water in which you cooked it. Stir, cover and simmer for 10 mins or so, stirring in between.

Serve warm with rice / rotis.

The leaves of this greens I have used here are succulent and mucilaginous after cooking, It makes a good base for soups, stews and curries like these. If you know the Hindi name, let me know. I wish I had clicked a pic of the plant, it used to grow in the house we resided in before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment