Friday, June 10, 2011

Chicken Stew- absolutely Mallu!

Can we ever stop drooling over Mallu food! No!!

There are two things I like aboout the new house. One, we can cook chicken here. Our earlier landlord was a true-blue Iyengar. Aiyyo! And second, if there is "hip and happening" in namma Bengaluru, it is Koramangala. Sajjad Bhai, a local meat shop owner delivers your stuff home at no extra cost. Yay! I planned for days, and one day, I set out to make chicken stew.
My recipe-
Powder / crush the following spices-
1 tsp peppercorns
2 cloves
1 cardamom
1 tsp fennel seeds
1" long cinnamon stick

Other stuff needed-
1/2 kg washed and cleaned chicken with bone
Cut up some veggies too-
1/2 a cup of carrots chopped
1 medium potato cubed
1 tomato
1 onion
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 cup thin coconut milk
water as needed
Salt
oil to cook
curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric (I like my chicken colored, you can skip)

Directions-
In a deep pan, heat oil, add the crushed spices. Let them splutter. Add onion, ginger garlic, curry leaves and saute. Don't let the onions turn brown. Now add the rest of the veggies, chicken, thin coconut milk, bring to boil. At this point, I transferred all the contents into my rice cooker with a bit of water and cooked the chicken alternating between warm and cook (these are the 2 options my rice cooker has). Cook for about 15-20 mins till the chicken is done. I added 2 tsps of almond and poppy seed paste for making a thick gravy. I served with hot rotis.

I added 1 tsp of ghee later for added effect. It must have been good, because Niket and I finished the whole thing in 15 mins flat.

Also check Veg stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment